The most innovative schools, scientifically designed for learning
Congrats to Vega Schools for being recognized as one of the top 100 Inspiring Innovations in the world by HundrED! For more on HundrED and how to revolutionize education through culture and design like Vega, click here
Vega Schools’ buildings threw out the outdated idea of classroom teaching spaces and incorporated architectural innovations designed specifically around how children learn. Vega’s innovative circular building designers, from Fielding Nair International USA and EDA Bangalore, under the guidance of Prakash Nair, architect, educationist, and author of Blueprint for Tomorrow, thought through every aspect of the building with these specific needs in mind. While Prakash Nair worked on perfecting the structure and design of Vega, co-founder Dr. Steve Edwards worked on perfecting the curriculum and pedagogy, ensuring students would be equipped to enter the world as 21st Century learners and global citizens.
Here are some unique features of Vega School’s building:
- Its unique circular design ensures that there are no dark corners,
- Incorporates brightly colored window panels which allow natural light in throughout the day while keeping heat out,
- Seamlessly fuses the work and play areas while letting the indoors flow fluidly into the outdoor nature learning areas
- Centralized air purification system maintains prescribed levels of CO2, PM10, and PM2.5 levels throughout the building to improve cognition and concentration levels
Carefully selected interior colors and layouts increase levels of focus, mood, well-being, and learning. Its unique design provides multiple learning areas such as:
- Individual quiet zones for study and play
- Small group spaces for team learning
- One-on-one discussion areas for student-learning leader clarifications
- Large group activity zones to support personalized education and immersive learning.
Nine dedicated floor spaces accommodate flexible layouts needed for diverse learning strategies. Interest zones and activity clusters are spaced throughout in a manner that allows constant monitoring. Older children have learning studios, technology zones, collaboration areas, and activity centers.
Dynamic Learning Enabled in Open Plan Classrooms
Research has shown a positive association between movement in the classroom and cognitive skills, academic achievement, test scores, and behavior. – Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Open learning spaces are created to enrich a child’s experience by promoting the stimulation of all senses. Progressive schools are aware that personalized learning has to factor in different learning styles (visual, auditory, and kinesthetic), but feel constrained by traditional school design. Classrooms at Vega, better known as a learning space is one that is flexible enough to empower student choice, increase student engagement, and improve student participation. Here, students are actively involved in constructing content and new ideas and engaged in real, relevant, and purposeful activities thus helping them engage in critical thinking.
For more information, please click below to visit the Vega Schools website: